Saturday, April 3, 2010

Research in Motion Q1 Revisions


Research in Motion (RIMM) Q1 Revisions
INCOME STATEMENT
Three Months Ended May 29, 2010
Revenue
$4,351,471
Cost of Sales
$2,380,320
Gross Margin
$1,971,151

45.30%
Operating Expenses:

   R&D
$272,319
   SG&A
$538,549
   Amortization
$88,896
     Total
$899,763


Income from Operations
$1,071,388
Investment Income
$4,454
Income before Taxes
$1,075,842
Provision for Income Taxes
$306,836
Net Income
$769,006


EPS

   Basic
$1.38
   Shares Outstanding
558,200

Previous estimates for this quarter’s earnings were the following:
Q1 EPS:  $1.29
Q1 Rev:  $4.35 Bil
Q1 Gross Margin:  43.4%
New estimates for the first quarter have been slightly revised as a result of RIMM’s Q4 results this past week:
            Q1 EPS (Revised):  $1.38
            Q1 Rev (Revised):  $4.351 Bil
            Q1 Gross Margin (Revised):  45.3%
Once again, the process of creating estimates included a combination of four things:
1)      Scouring through Wednesday’s earnings announcement and Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A),
2)      Running numerous regression tests,
3)      Revising the common-size statements, and
4)      Choosing which estimates from all the tests best fit the data.
Revenue
When it comes to predicting revenue, I generally run five to seven different regression tests of past quarterly sales figures to determine which test(s) best predicts the previous quarter’s sales, this time of $4.08 Bil.  As you can see in the below accuracy table, the data I used in the First-Order model best predicted last quarter’s sales; therefore, that’s the model that I used to predict Q1 sales. 
Accuracy
Model
Prediction
Percent Err.
W/ St. Err.
Percent Err.
R^2
Ad R^2
First-Order
$3,739,447
8.3%
$4,092,011
-0.3%
86.05%
85.41%
Exponential
$5,071,297
-24.3%
-
-
98.60%
-
Deasonal
$3,779,412
7.4%
$4,137,282
-1.4%
83.71%
83.03%
Dummy
$3,823,812
6.3%
$4,206,712
-3.1%
84.69%
81.77%
Lagged
$4,531,045
-11.1%
$4,698,039
-15.2%
96.56%
96.20%

Operating & Non-operating Expenses
To arrive at the operating and non-operating expenses for RIMM, I employ two methods.  First, I run simple linear regression tests on each line of the income statement using the past ten quarters of data.  Second, I use common-size analysis to determine each line’s percentage of total revenue and then average each line.  Then, I compare the results against past business and economic trends and choose each estimate accordingly.
Q1 Quarterly Predictions
Period
Cost of Sales
R&D
SG&A
Amortization
Investment Income
Provision for Inc. Tax
Outstanding Shares
1
914,483
104,573
267,881
31,314
20,114
172,067
549,837
2
1,105,208
127,776
326,592
36,552
18,977
182,899
551,564
3
1,270,473
181,347
379,644
43,633
17,168
223,855
552,899
4
1,512,592
193,044
382,968
53,023
31,554
275,729
553,687
5
2,079,615
182,535
406,493
61,595
10,568
225,264
554,105
6
1,931,985
219,777
514,291
67,396
9,136
56,167
554,787
7
1,971,296
235,571
429,748
73,292
7,625
183,989
555,789
8
2,249,055
242,329
465,717
83,129
6,425
262,134
554,277
9
$2,216,622
$267,164
$497,642
$86,540
$5,454
$307,076
557,114
Regression
$2,566,353
$289,002
$538,549
$95,802
$2,630
$249,779
557,462
Aritmentic
$2,347,651
$272,319
$581,655
$81,989
$23,211
$306,836
553,784
Mean
$2,457,002
$280,660
$560,102
$88,896
$12,920
$278,308
555,623

$2,380,320



$4,454

558,000

The estimates that I have arrived at show EPS in the upper range of RIMM’s guidance of $1.31-$1.38.   Also of note, the estimated gross margin figure is higher than what management is forecasting.  As the company shifts the makeup of their product line, I feel that GM will not be reduced by as much as management is anticipating.  Lastly, I was interested to see that my revenue estimate came right in line with what the company is expecting as well as what I previously predicted prior to Q4’s Wednesday announcement.

Be sure to click “Follow” to the left of this post.  Next up for analysis—GOOGLE!


Disclaimer:
· Opinions, estimates and projections contained in this report are of the author as of the date published and are subject to change without notice.
· This report is not, nor should it be construed as, an offer to sell or solicitation of an offer to buy any securities.
· Unless otherwise noted, all research reports provide information of a general nature and do not address the circumstances of any particular investor.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.