Thursday, May 6, 2010

Kraft Announces Superb Quarterly Results


The Street vs. Tyler Smithson
Kraft Q1 Results


Actual Q1 Revenue:  $11.30 Bil
Actual Q1 EPS:  $0.49
Kraft blew away Wall Street projections today, with first-quarter revenue coming in 3.25% above consensus.  This represents a 20.5% year-over-year increase and a 2.7% quarter-over-quarter increase.  Likewise, EPS also came in above expectations with an 8.16% surprise.
Figure 1

Actual
Tyler Smithson
Difference
The Street
Difference
Revenue
$11,318
$11,155
1.44%
$10,950
3.25%
Q1 EPS
$0.49
$0.48
2.04%
$0.45
8.16%

While Kraft’s earnings were a big surprise for Wall Street analysts covering the company, for my followers and I, results were pretty close to expectations.  As evidenced by Figure 1, I was significantly closer on both measures.  While the Street was off 3.25% on Q1 revenue, my estimates were less than have that difference—only 1.44%.  When the focus is turned to EPS, the differences become much more extreme.  Analysts were off an appalling 8.16% and I was only off a fourth of that, or 2.04%! 
Wall Street analysts should be hiding right now given their subpar predications.  It is apparent that their method of analysis employs, to a great extent, “SWAG.”  I was first introduced to this term by one of my graduate finance professors at Missouri State.  “SWAG” is an acronym for “Scientific Wild-A$$ Guess.” 
Those looking for accurate and unbiased earnings estimates, look no further than Smithson Equity Analysis.  Be sure to click the “Follow” button in the upper-right portion of your screen so you can be the first to catch all of my new posts.
I haven't decided which company I'll be analyzing next, but I'd be happy to consider any suggestions. 
 
KFT Ownership
Author:   NO
Author’s Family:  NO

Disclaimer:
· Opinions, estimates and projections contained in this report are of the author as of the date published and are subject to change without notice.
· This report is not, nor should it be construed as, an offer to sell or solicitation of an offer to buy any securities.
· Unless otherwise noted, all research reports provide information of a general nature and do not address the circumstances of any particular investor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.